Voting in the Age of COVID-19
RESOURCES AND ACTION STEPS
JusticeAid is raising money this year to provide Election Protection the financial support it needs to engage voters and fight voter suppression. COVID-19 and the need for physical distancing are adding unprecedented challenges to voter engagement.
What are some of the unique challenges for voter engagement and voter participation right now?
- Motivating people to register, or vote, is simply going to require different tools now that person-to-person contact is limited.
- Voters may not want to risk exposure to COVID-19 at polling places.
- Polling places may be short of workers.
- Requests for absentee ballots are at an all-time high.
What simple things can YOU do to protect the vote in the age of COVID-19?
- Share these links to help people register to vote or obtain an absentee ballot from home.
- Sign up with Election Protection to serve as a nonpartisan poll monitor.
- Are you a lawyer, paralegal, law student or other legal professional? Volunteer with Election Protection for a call center/voter hotline, field center, or both.
- Share state specific voting information including how to obtain absentee ballots and find polling places.
- Plan ahead to vote absentee, or plan to visit your polling place during non-peak hours.
General resources on voter engagement in the age of COVID-19:
- States’ responses to protect voters at polling places.
- Common Cause, a nonpartisan grassroots organization dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy, recommends these reforms, such as voting by mail, given current public health challenges.
- If voters have missed their absentee ballot deadlines, they still may be able to vote without going to a busy polling place with support of their local boards of election office. Voters can find their local board of elections on the League of Women Voters’ election website VOTE411.org to learn if this is an option where they live.
Voters who encounter problems while voting should report them to the Election Protection Hotline. Trained experts are prepared to talk voters through any issues:
- 1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
- 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
- 1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
- 1-844-YALLA-US (Arabic)
Will you help us protect every American’s fundamental right to vote?
One thing you can do RIGHT NOW to protect voting is make a donation to support Election Protection’s important role in safeguarding voter engagement and fighting voter suppression. JusticeAid will commit 100% of your contribution to support Election Protection. Thank you, and please contact us with questions additional resources to share.